مدرسة فاطمة الزهراء الخاصة بصلالة
هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.
مدرسة فاطمة الزهراء الخاصة بصلالة

تم انشاء المنتدى للاستفادة من التقنيات الحديثة لزيادة التواصل مع الطلاب و تحقيق رؤية المدرسة في الوصول الى اعلى درجات الدقة و التفوق في تنمية عقول و مهارات ابنائها

الرئيسيةالرئيسية  أحدث الصورأحدث الصور  التسجيلالتسجيل  دخول  

Grade 7 How to make a describtive essay

اذهب الى الأسفل 
كاتب الموضوعرسالة
Admin
Admin

المساهمات : 2
تاريخ التسجيل : 29/03/2016

Grade 7    How to make a describtive essay Empty
مُساهمةموضوع: Grade 7 How to make a describtive essay   Grade 7    How to make a describtive essay Emptyالثلاثاء مارس 29, 2016 6:39 am

Describing people – guide

A description of a person should consist of:

• an introduction where you give some brief information about the person (his/ her name, time or place you met/saw him/her, how you heard about him/her);
• a main body where you describe physical appearance, personality characteristics and hobbies, interests, everyday activities in separate paragraphs; and
• a conclusion which includes your comments and/or feelings about the person.
Such descriptions can be found in articles, letters, witness statements, novels, etc.

Points to consider
Each paragraph starts with a topic sentence which introduces the subject of the paragraph. A variety of linking words should be used to connect ideas.

To describe physical appearance, details should be given as follows: height or build, age, facial features, hair, clothes, moving from the most general aspects to the more specific details, e.g. John is a tall, slim man in his mid forties. He has a thin face, blue eyes and a large nose. His short hair is greying at the temples. He is usually casually dressed.

To describe character and behaviour you can support your description with examples, e.g. Sally is very sociable. She loves going to parties and dances. If you want to mention any negative qualities, use mild language (tends to, seems to, is rather, can occasionally be, etc.). e.g. Instead of saying Sally is arrogant, it is better to say Sally tends to be rather arrogant.

Variety in the use of adjectives will make your description more interesting, e.g. good-natured, well-behaved, gorgeous, etc.

Present tenses can be used to describe someone connected to the present, e.g. someone you see every day. Past tenses can be used to describe someone related to the past, e.g. someone who is no longer alive, someone whom you won't meet again... etc.

Narrative techniques
Narrative techniques (use of direct speech, weather description, use of dramatic language to create mystery, suspense, reference to feelings, moods etc) can be used when describing people. This will make your composition more interesting to the reader. See how an ordinary beginning can be made more exciting:

Instead of saying: I first met Steven, the secretary of the manager of Sunnington Ltd, last Monday, you could say:

A cold wind was blowing down the street last Monday morning as I pushed open the heavy glass door of Sunnington Ltd. Chilled and nervous I walked up to Mr Tibbs' secretary. A pair of friendly dark eyes met mine. So this was Steven! (weather description, your feelings, suspense)

"Mr Tibbs is at a meeting. Would you like to wait? He'll be about ten minutes." He had a sharp clear voice, and a narrow intelligent face. I could see why Mr Tibbs, the manager of Sunnington Ltd, spoke so highfy of Steven. (direct speech, mystery)

Describing people - example

My Next-door Neighbour

Mavis has been my neighbour for six years. I first met her when she knocked on my door and asked for a spade because she hadn't yet unpacked hers. She had only moved in two days before.

Physically, Mavis looks younger than most other women in their late sixties. She is of average height, neither fat nor thin. Her plump round face is framed by a mass of wavy white hair and her sparkling blue eyes show her humour and friendliness. She prefers wearing casual, comfortable clothes. I don't think I have ever seen her in a perfectly ironed suit.

As for her personality, Mavis's most striking characteristic is her generosity. My house, as well as most of our neighbours', nearly always has a vase of flowers from her garden in the living room. Mavis is very good- natured and always has time for a chat. She is also patient. She hardly ever gets annoyed about anything, except when children pick her favourite roses and lilies. However, she tends to be quite stubborn - once she has made a decision, nothing can change her mind.

Mavis always seems to be busy doing something. She spends a lot of her time looking after her garden and often participates in local flower shows. When she is not in her garden she is usually off somewhere raising money for one charity or another.

All in all, Mavis is the perfect next-door neighbour. Since the day she moved in, we have grown very close and I am very fond of her, even if I am woken up by the noise of her lawnmower early in the morning!

لتحميل عرض شرح http://www.4shared.com/office/JwTUzKrPba/describing_people.html
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة اذهب الى الأسفل
https://fatimaalzahraapvtsch.rigala.net

Grade 7 How to make a describtive essay
الرجوع الى أعلى الصفحة 
صفحة 1 من اصل 1

صلاحيات هذا المنتدى:لاتستطيع الرد على المواضيع في هذا المنتدى
مدرسة فاطمة الزهراء الخاصة بصلالة :: المرحلة الثانية :: اللغة الانجليزية-
انتقل الى: